Learn more about Judy Heumann, the history of the Disability Rights Movement, and much more through the resources below.

A black and white photo of a protest with a banner above a group of disabled activists

Awards in Judy's Honor

Scholarships and Fellowships

Annual Awards 

Classroom Resources

Book Guides

Lesson Planning

Disability Advocacy Resources


Do you have a disability-related question or issue, but you don’t know where to start? Try the following resources which can help you find specific assistance.

Asserting Your Rights: Protection and Advocacy (P&A) Organizations

If you believe you are being discriminated against as a person with a disability or your vital needs are not being met, you may want to contact a Protection and Advocacy organization for legal assistance. These organizations can often provide advice or pro bono (free) legal counsel for issues like insurance/Medicaid appeals, discrimination lawsuits, and other situations. They are typically state-specific. See the links below to find the contact information for your P&A Agency.

Personal Assistance Services

If you require assistance with Activities of Daily Living (tasks like cleaning, bathing, dressing, and more) to live in your home, you may benefit from personal assistance services. See the resources below for how to acquire them.

Vocational Rehabilitation (VR)

VR Agencies exist within state governments to help people with disabilities pursue education and employment. VR should begin working with disabled individuals during high school and aid in their transition to college and beyond by providing funding for tuition, assistive technology, Personal Care Assistants (PCAs), and more. See below to find your VR Agency. 

Website Accessibility

Preparing for Higher Education

  • Accessible College
  • Contact your local Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) agency to get services like tuition funding, adaptive equipment, and more. See earlier section.
  • Acquire personal assistance services to aid with activities like showering, dressing, and more. See earlier section.
  • Talk with your high school about setting up a 504 Plan so your accommodations can transfer to college with you. This may mean transitioning an IEP to a 504 Plan, or starting it from scratch. 

ADA/504 Complaints in Higher Education 

If you’re facing access issues at your college or university, you should first contact your college’s office of disability services and attempt to resolve the issue with them. If that isn’t possible, you may want to do more research using the resources below, or seek legal representation through a Protection & Advocacy Organization (see earlier section) for your state.

Featuring Judy





Recommended Reading


Educational Books

Children's Books

Skip to content